Igoumenitsa, the capital of the province and the prefecture of Thesprotia, is the most important port in Epirus and one of the main links between Greece and Western Europe. Razed by the Germans during the Second World War, Igoumenitsa was rebuilt on its ruins and its port in the sixties witnessed a rapid development, mainly due to the revival of the tourism sector.
Igoumenitsa and its surroundings are ideal for a holiday in contact with nature. The city is about 20km from Syvota and about 50km from Parga; both are small but very popular resorts and along the path that connects them there are beautiful beaches, such as, Plataria.
Among the main points of interest in Igoumenitsa and in the immediate vicinity are the Turkish ruins of the castle, destroyed in 1685 by Francesco Morosini, Doge of Venice; and the artillery, which included twelve guns and moved to the island of Corfu.
Built on the 14th century, the Monastery of Panagia in Paramythia with its dome covered with ceramics, frescoes and mosaics and the archaeological site of Pyrgos Ligias Ragiou are also worthy of a visit.